Most people imagine a crisis to be some form of disaster, such as an oil spill, a plane crash, a collapsed architecture, disease outbreak causing death, etc. However, did you know that data/privacy leaks and cybersecurity lapses are the more prevalent crises? This also means that ANY company needs to have a crisis management and communication program in place.
A good crisis communication program
A good crisis communication program must stand up to the toughest scenarios. The toughest scenarios are in an airline jet and a hospital. We adapted the best practices from the aviation industry, that of TEM (threat and error management), and CRM (crew resource management) into our program. We have experienced and learned first hand through MCC (multi-crew cooperation) and jet orientation courses, to understand how pilots handle stressful situations, challenges and emergencies, using checklists, procedures, and recovery methodologies. These best practices of CRM and TEM have also been adopted by the medical industry.
In a nutshell, what is in our Crisis Communication and Management Program?
- What is a crisis?
- TEM (Threat and Error Management)
- Understanding Threats (latent and overt)
- Threat and error response (mitigation)
- CRM (crew resource management)
- Pre-crisis plan and checklists
- Role definition and workload distribution
- Communication workflow
- WHAT, WHEN, WHO, HOW, SEQUENCE and FEEDBACK
- TRIM teamwork (Talk, Respect, Initiative, Monitor)
- Crisis handling tips and secrets
- Media Training
- Mock TV interview (fictional crisis scenarios)
- [Optional] Role-play crisis simulation (including social)
Media Training Primer™ (2 – 4 hours)
If you are not yet ready for a full-fledged Crisis Management and Communication Program, we have this training primer for you. This is a succinct media training primer program for busy CXOs and executives. We will prep your leaders to be media savvy, and be ready for TV, radio, print, events, and online interviews. The short primer will end with a mock TV interview and critique.
- Selling vs Telling
- The Media’s agenda
- Fundamental questions
- Interview preparation (for print, online, TV/radio, events)
- What to say and provide to the media
- Interview dynamics
- Working in tandem with the journalist
- Difficult questions
- Crisis management basics with CRM (from aviation and medicine)
- Crisis communication basics
- Mock interview and critique
For other training offerings, including Leadership and Sales, visit our Training page.